On the Ownership of Funds in Transit in the Payment and Settlement



Payment and settlement will produce issues regarding funds in transit. When we study the ownership of funds in transit, we shall clarify the nature of monetary property, the ownership of deposit money and the significance of bank accounts. Money is independent property and it is not a “material object”. Its core is credited. Deposit money is based on bank accounts and it is liminal independent monetary property. Since a depositor deposits legal currency into a bank, the bank has gained the property rights to the legal currency while the depositor will get the control rights over the deposited currency. Deposit currency and statutory currency are in an equal and freely convertible relationship. This equal and freely convertible relationship and interest income are derived from the credit diminution rather than from anything else. To pay the settlement by using deposit currency will result in problems of funds in transit. Funds in transit are neither in the payer’s account nor the payee’s account. They are in the bank’s settlement process. Due to the homogeneity of currency, the control rights over funds in transit can only be held by the bank and the payer holds only statutory non-dominant rights. 



Full Text:



Liang, H. X. (1996). General rules of civil law (p.86). China: Law Press.

Liu, S. J., & Wang, Y. K. (2009). On currency property (rights). The Press of China University of Political Science and Law.

Wang, L. M. (2002). Research on Real Rights Law. China: Renmin University of China Press.

Wang, L. M., Yang, L. X., Wang, Y., & Cheng, X. (2008). Civil Law (p.229). China: Law Press.

Zhang, J. H. (2000). Principles of Civil Law (p.372). The Press of China University of Political Science and Law.

Zhou, X. Z., & Zhang, J. (2005). On the ownership of currency. Journal of Hebei Laws, (9), 57.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3968/%25x


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c)

Share us to:   


  • How to do online submission to another Journal?
  • If you have already registered in Journal A, then how can you submit another article to Journal B? It takes two steps to make it happen:

1. Register yourself in Journal B as an Author

  • Find the journal you want to submit to in CATEGORIES, click on “VIEW JOURNAL”, “Online Submissions”, “GO TO LOGIN” and “Edit My Profile”. Check “Author” on the “Edit Profile” page, then “Save”.

2. Submission

Submit an Articlehttp://cscanada.org/index.php/css/submission/wizard

  • Go to “User Home”, and click on “Author” under the name of Journal B. You may start a New Submission by clicking on “CLICK HERE”.
  • We only use three mailboxes as follows to deal with issues about paper acceptance, payment and submission of electronic versions of our journals to databases: caooc@hotmail.com; css@cscanada.net; css@cscanada.org

 Articles published in Canadian Social Science are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC-BY).


Address: 1055 Rue Lucien-L'Allier, Unit #772, Montreal, QC H3G 3C4, Canada.

Website: Http://www.cscanada.net Http://www.cscanada.org 
E-mailcss@cscanada.net, css@cscanada.org

Copyright © Canadian Academy of Oriental and Occidental Culture